Monday, October 12, 2009

fresh air and eggs

Our chooks having been laying well this spring. They are young birds and came into lay mid march at about six months old and havn't really stopped producing since.


So when I couldn't find any eggs for a few days I noticed the black chook was missing and I looked around and found her sitting on a whole clutch of eggs (see below). She was doing such a good job of trying to hatch her babies but alas it was not to be as there is no rooster to do the deed. So seven lovely eggs were collected not all of them were hers as you can see with the different coloured eggs.


I managed a spot of gardening today and here is a shot of Tessa enjoying the fresh air, what a gorgeous cheeky smile (not that I'm biased or anything, hehe).




3 comments:

  1. you should get a rooster and hatch some chicks, it's great fun and you can supply laying birds for the following year or eating birds if you dont need layers. We hatched our own batch for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I can't wait for our chickens to start laying eggs...x

    ReplyDelete