Sunday, October 18, 2009

Finally finished

I have finally finished sewing Tessa sleep sak. She has been needing it for a while now, because developed the habit of wriggling out of her blankets. Not unusual for babies her age, but a little difficult to keep her warm. Hopefully it will also help with her new fun game of rolling over and getting her arm stuck in the side of the cot in the middle of the night, hehe.

I made it out of merino medium weight knit, which feels lovely and soft but is awful to sew, hence the marathon effort it has taken to sew. I used the trick I was taught for sewing zips in when I designed and sewed my wedding dress last year. First hand sew the seam shut with contrasting thread then hand sew zip in place (I think this is called basting). Then machine sew the zip in as usual , unpick hand sewn thread and viola, a well put in zip. But somehow with merino knit that moves all over the place I didn't quite manage it this time. Hehe hence the interesting photography, to make the shoddy sewing less obvious.

Now I will give full credit to the high prices charged for these online, totally worth the extra money.
Oh and a big thanks to everyone who entered the Blogtober Giveaway. There is another in the planning stages before the end of the month, so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment